Design & UX / Responsive UX / Web App
E-learning tools for 21st century AP students
About Flinn Scientific
FlinnPREP is an all-new offering from Flinn Scientific, a leading supplier of scientific equipment to educators. Flinn pioneered a focus on safety in providing safely packaged chemicals, free safety training and unique safety products to high school teachers.
FlinnPREP takes scientific education to the 21st century, with interactive, self-guided courses in AP® Chemistry and AP® Biology that keep students sharp and teachers up-to-speed on progress and comprehension.
Project goals for FlinnPREP were high. Flinn wanted to create something stunning that supported high school science students and teachers—an online e-learning program that fully utilized the Internet’s interactive capabilities. Flinn was answering a need from its science teacher customers—how to make their classroom time with AP students as effective as possible at the start of a new school year.
Of the several challenges this project presented, the first was that we were starting from scratch, with no previous editions or models to go on. Of course, that’s the best part, too. We worked closely with the Flinn team to develop exactly the kind of e-learning program that would be valuable to both teachers and students.
- Engaging, self-guided online learning across multiple devices that utilize text, graphs, animation and video.
- Interaction between students and teachers on a group and private basis.
- Flexible input tools for authors without HTML experience to create courses and multiple-choice quizzes.
- Diagnostic progress reports and indicators for teachers.
- E-commerce support.
We started by working closely with the content authors at Flinn, who were developing course content, graphics, animation, videos and quizzes. Flexibility was the key word in providing content-development support, and we developed a content input system so that authors without HTML coding experience could produce varied, interactive HTML pages of content.
In addition, we developed three custom applications:
- Direct messaging, chat and email communication options for teachers and students.
- Real-time reporting and diagnostic tools for teachers to track student progress.
- E-commerce functionality to support individual or group purchases.
In just two years after the initial pilot program, the number of student users has increased 10-fold, to 20,000, and revenues have increased 120 percent. These achievements can attributed to the ongoing enhancements and improvements to the app that Flinn and Azavar have collaborated on together, based on customer feedback.
Awards and Recognition
Azavar Technologies honored as bronze Stevie® Award Winner in 2017 American Business AwardsSM .
"Functionality is great. The way you present information and engage each user type is very well done and intuitive."
"Really superb interactive programmes for mobile which definitely help students I wish I had stuff like this when I was in school! Good progress reports; good tracking capabilities; very intuitive. The app seems to provide easy access to a number of different sources/resources to aid the learning process."
About Stevie® Award
Stevie® Award recognizes the achievements and positive contributions of organizations and working professionals worldwide. Learn more about Stevie® Award.
- Supports Chemical Markup Language (CML) and Mathematical Markup Language (MathML) for formulas.
- HTML markdown editor to render HTML content with a rich media experience.
- Direct messaging and chat.
- Group discussion forums.
- Multiple-choice randomization.